Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Crafts

Okay, on Friday's I babysit Claire's kids and in order to keep my sanity with 5 kids under 3 I try to plan a craft. This one was really cool! I found a Fingerpaint Recipe on another blog (by the way, all of the SUPER COOL blogs I've gotten ideas from are on the left under "My Favorite Links"):

Finger Paint Recipe

ingredients:
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
cold water
1/2 cup cornstarch
4 tablespoons dishwashing liquid
food coloring
4 to 6 wide mouth jars
directions:
1. Stir the gelatin into 1/3 cup cold water; set aside.
2. Measure the cornstarch into a saucepan and stir in 2 1/2 cups cold water until dissolved.
3.Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until thickened.
4.Remove the pan from the heat and blend in the gelatin mixture and the dishwashing liquid.
5. Allow the mixture to cool and spoon it into jars.
6.Stir in a generous amount of food coloring.
7. Store at room temperature in airtight containers.

It was so easy and it turned out JUST like my Crayola finger paints that I paid $8 for. Never make that mistake again! Make sure they don't get it in their eyes, though, as it does have dishwasher detergent in it and according to Lincoln it really hurts! Then I turned the boys loose on it. They had a hard time actually painting with their fingers (they wanted paint brushes) but once they figured it out, they looked like this:

PRICELESS.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

awww, thats really cute and fun. i'm going to make that recipe for oliver. thanks for that. also, you need to get mom to fulfill her WEEKLY reader responsibilities- she's about 2 weeks behind.