Monday, April 30, 2012

Progress

**Disclaimer-these are not my ovaries!!:)

Well, I had my first "monitoring" ultrasound and bloodwork before church yesterday.  It was fun to juggle getting to the doctor, rushing back to church, setting up the primary room, only to rush into Sacrament meeting barely in time to sit down and catch my breath before primary started!  I am kind of excited to be in Chicago and just have no outside pressures and just RELAX!

Well, the ultrasound went fine.  The reason I posted that picture of the ovaries is because that's pretty much what mine look like right now!  Although I have not been officially tested, all the signs point to me having PCOS or polycystic ovaries. This obviously effects fertility in women since you have cysts on your ovaries.  You actually have a 45% chance of miscarriage as opposed to a 15% chance in "normal" women.  That explains my miscarriages! What it means for me with IVF is that I will most likely produce a greater number of follicles and therefore a lesser quality of egg.  Bummer!  That's also what happened last time with Cooper's IVF cycle.  My doctor has me on some diabetes medication to counteract the possibility of PCOS.

Right now I am giving myself 3 shots a day and popping 2 pills.  I feel pretty normal hormonally, but that doesn't say too much for me!  I am feeling bloated and a bit heavy and super tired.  I am getting very excited to get the process over and done with.  While I am actually on a fast cycle it still feels like the process is never ending!  I fly out to Chicago with Jake on Saturday and hopefully will have my eggs taken out on Sunday, possibly Monday.  More updates coming soon...

5 comments:

Jess & Jessica said...

I am so glad you are documenting your journey. That is a great idea. We are praying for you guys. I am so excited to see all the faith you two are having. You are a great couple. We love you guys!

Rebecca said...

I love that you're documenting all of this. It's so cool to feel "in the loop." I just want you to know that you are in our prayers (and have been for quite some time)- both morning and night. We're really hoping for the best for you guys. we love you and please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Nancy said...

Aaaahhh, Emily this is so exciting!! Let's just have another "impossible embryo" (like Cooper, right?) and another miracle baby!

Amanda said...

On the fast cycle...lucky! Sounds like your doctor is on top of everything. Go, enjoy some time off and relax. We are thinking of you. And of course praying for you and your family.

Debbie/Mom said...

Ditto to all the comments...I love you guys so much, and I too am glad that you are documenting this...I feel in the loop now with everyone else!! YAY!!! You are definitely in my prayers ALWAYS!!!! I wish you well, and much success!!!!